Announcements and Important Events
Voted on by varsity head coaches, the Eagle Athlete of the Year is awarded annually to the top male and female athlete at Grand Rapids Christian with an emphasis on multi-sport athletes. The portrait of a graduate aspect that is most often revealed by these award winners is one of being a creative solution finder. These athletes are the glue and leadership for their respective teams.
Female Eagle Athlete of the Year: Lauren Peal
- Lauren Peal is a 4 year varsity starter on our volleyball team. She has earned All-Conference and All-Region as a junior and as a senior. This year she was named Captain and 1st team all-state on the three-peat state championship volleyball team. Lauren showed tremendous leadership during this COVID season while having to practice outside in the sand and wait 2 months to finish the pursuit of that third state title.
- Lauren also had a prodigious tennis career as an Eagle. As a 4 year varsity player, (minus her junior year for COVID) Lauren earned all-conference every year, regional champ each year and was a state semifinalist as a freshman and state finalist as a sophomore. Lauren has been captain the last two years and earned All-State as a Sophomore as well.
- Lauren exhibits tremendous positive leadership while pushing herself and her teammates to be the very best on the court and in the classroom where she is also an excellent student with a GPA of 3.544. She wears her smile and enthusiasm as a welcome sign to everyone regardless of grade or status and is truly a Christian ambassador for our school.
Congratulations Lauren on earning the Girls Eagle Athlete of the Year!
Male Eagle Athlete of the Year: Joey Rauwerda
- Joey played soccer for the Eagles all four years with two years on varsity. As a senior, Joey was awarded All District honors. A physical and fast defender, Joey was also known for his goal-scoring prowess and heading balls high above defenders into the opponents net.
- Joey has been on our bowling team for four years. Joey was a captain, leader and all around encourager who was everyone’s favorite human — earning MVP this year.
- Joey also ran track for four years, most notably in the middle distance and especially in pole vault where he currently sits near the top of the OK White as a nearly 13’ pole vaulter.
- Joey is an excellent student-athlete with a 4.085 GPA. He is kind, ferociously competitive and a light for Jesus wherever he goes and exemplifies the best of Eagle Athletics.
Congratulations Joey on earning the Boys Eagle Athlete of the Year!
The Scholar Athlete Award is given annually to a senior boy and senior girl multi-sport athlete with the highest GPA.
Female Scholar Athlete of the Year: Katie Winkle
Sports: Basketball and Girls Lacrosse
Coach Crystal Strickland says, “Katie is the energy giver and possibly the best dancer on the team. Katie is more responsible than most adults.” Coach Jaimie Van De Burg mentions a lot of positives as well, “She always seeks out new underclassmen to do drills with and make sure they feel included. Katie has a great sense of humor and apparently is going to use our GLax account to become the next big Insta Influencer.” Congratulations Katie on earning the GRCHS Female Scholar Athlete of the Year!
Male Scholar Athlete of the Year: Andrew Huyser
Sports: Cross Country. Track & Field
Coach Hoekstra reports: “Andrew has been a tireless worker and finally this year as a senior he is reaping the rewards. His PR for the 1600m race coming into this year was a respectable 5:30, and currently he has that trimmed back to 4:47 — an amazing improvement. Andrew is a great example of what grit and determination can accomplish. Also, fun fact: Andrew’s nickname is “Nard Dog” if you want to be part of his inner circle. Congratulations Andrew on earning the GRCHS Male Scholar Athlete of the Year!